New Society Publishers | October 2004 | ISBN: 0865715114 | PDF | 321 pages | 5,2 MB
Media reports focus increasingly on the declining health of children in industrialized countries. Asthma, autism, learning and behavior problems, and cancer are all on the rise. At the same time, there is consistent news about poor indoor air quality, mold and how buildings can make people sick. \Homes that Heal addresses both of these developments, revealing that our own homes can contribute to many of these health problems.
A passionate examination of our built environment and the alarming impact today's chemically polluted world is having on the health of present and future generations, Homes That Heal is easy-to-read, solutions-oriented and humorous, full of stories and advice that empower families to take back their health on a daily basis.
Topics covered include:
• A Healthy Home Quiz that enables readers to evaluate the health of their own home and identify many of the common home health hazards
• factors impacting indoor air quality
• A room-by-room examination of typical problems and solutions
• Toxic materials used in building a new home or remodeling
• Cleaning products and other consumer hazards found in the home
• An easy-to-understand introduction to the science of Bau-biologie (Building Biology), an internationally recognized approach to healthy construction.
Packed with useful information and resources, Homes That Heal is written to be easily understood by busy mothers and will appeal to anyone interested in the health of his or her family. Designed for the family coffee table, it is equally suitable for doctors' offices and home improvement stores.